Rachel knew she had to “do something with people” for her career, and she found her answer while volunteering during her undergraduate program—working with Elders!
Her first exposure to Skilled Nursing was a dance recital—and even at the age of 6, Rachel knew it wasn’t a warm or welcoming environment. As she grew up she did have a wonderful Elder in her life though—her grandmother, who today she still refers to as “hip and cool”.
Those thoughts of “hip and cool” Elders were solidified when she volunteered at the Kendal of Ithaca Nursing Home. Rachel enjoyed the wisdom of the Elders, having tea with them—she loved the experience. In fact, it was the Elders that urged Rachel to pursue her master’s degree! She did just that, receiving a fellowship from the University of Michigan to pursue Social Work in Gerontology Studies.
Since then, Rachel has been working to enrich the lives of Elders through a variety of positions in Home Health Care, Assisted Living and Skilled Nursing. For the past 4 years Rachel has been with The Green House Project®, and is currently the Marketing Specialist.
- B.S. in Human Development, Cornell University; MSW, University of Michigan
- 7 years of experience in aging services—Home Health Care, Assisted Living and Skilled Nursing
- Coordinated an interdisciplinary team to assess needs for aging Women Veterans, developed programs to effectively address those concerns
- Eden Associate
- Member of the Aging Special Interest Committee for the National Association of Social Workers.
- Facilitated recording of life histories through Storycorps Memory Loss Initiative.
Rachel was a field hockey player—being recruited as a Division I varsity player for Cornell University. Rachel’s interests today include hiking, traveling (she recently returned from a honeymoon trip to Africa!), and attending outdoor concerts with friends.